Sunday 28 June 2020

Story behind our company LOGO PKC Laundries .

I always felt that, naming my company, designing its logo, mascot is similar to naming my child when he/she is born.
I had the following things before naming our company, designing it’s logo and mascot-
  • The name should be easy to pronounce but catchy,
  • The logo should be very attractive, depicting the USP’s of the company and also it should be instilled in people’s brains, 
  • The mascot should get along with everyone and even kids

Therefore here is the story-
In 2015 I and Chaithanya wanted to start a business. We had close to 20 different ideas and discussed extensively on the pros and cons of each and every idea.
After close to 5-6 months of discussions we zeroed upon the laundry services.
Then came the biggest task- name, logo, and mascot.
Name:
We were three friends and we had a thought of starting a business right from our college days. Unlike now, in early 2010’s entrepreneurship was an entirely different ball game. Most students would prefer doing their masters, or getting into an IT company, settle abroad etc., but we were so determined to be unique out of all our batch mates and wanted to do something entirely different and also we really had balls to do something crazy. 
At that point of time itself we wanted to name our company with a 3-LETTER WORD (Starting letters of our names, or something related to us)
But due to some reasons I and Chaithanya could stick on together and the other guy couldn’t. So, as per our initial plan we still wanted to name the company with a 3-Letter Word 

Logo:
The thought process:
In 2015 before starting the company, I used to work for Signode India Limited in the area of business development. In my work assignments I used to travel most of the time and in one such occasion I had to go to Bengaluru for 3 days. But, the work got completed in a single day and I had to stay back there for another 2 days as per the schedule. It was then I had designed our company’s logo in the hotel I was staying.
I stayed in OYO-Rooms and I put all my thoughts, rough designs on the tissue which were kept on my table. This fondness of designing has stuck me when I previously worked on Uni-Graphics, AutoCAD and some other design platforms after my B.Tech. Till that point of time, we wanted to outsource our logo designing but due to this sudden change in my schedule I had time to design our company’s logo on my own.
I took my MacBook and researched for 4-5 hours. Roughly I’ve seen 2000 logos of various companies and analyzed many different things (I didn’t want to Google it because, it might change my creative thought process and end up designing something similar). Some of them are-
  • Their First Logo (the logo when the company has started), Current Logo 
  • What does a logo actually represent?
  • What does the company wants to tell people through its logo?
  • Why is a logo actually important?
  • How people associate themselves with the logo, and many more things….
After this exercise, I googled the actual meanings of the logos of various companies for another 2-3 hours. After a thorough research of 7-8 hours I got an idea on how to design the logo.
The first step is to name the company. As per our initial plan we wanted the name of the company to be a 3-Letter Word. I always had a view point that people should recognize what a particular company does by knowing their name (but not everything related to the company should be in the name) and therefore that is how the name PKC was born (In the name, we didn’t want to have any laundry related words attached to it)
P K C- Premanth Kundurthi Chaithanya
Importance of ‘K’- In our logo, if you have noticed, K is will be in reverse. We wanted the logo to be different and stylish. After multiple iterations on tweaking with the letters we finally wanted what we got. We also wanted people to take a look at the logo once more and guess it is ‘K’. It has worked, and now many people look 2-3 times at it to find what it is. 
The design:
  • I took a tissue, wrote PKC on it
  • We wanted to offer the customers those parameters which no other market participant offered till that point of time. I had to represent these 3 different parameters in our logo
  • I wrote all the USPs of our company which we wanted to offer
  • The main USPs being- FREE PICKUP & DELIVERY, FAST DELIVERY, QUALITY and CONCERN towards our CUSTOMERS

Therefore-
P- FAST DELIVERY (three lines)
K- QUALITY (the stars)
C- CONCERN towards our CUSTOMERS (the smiley emoji)
Once I inserted all these parameters in the logo, I did almost 400-500 iterations for the final output. I had spent close to 2 full nights for the final logo.
After coming back to Hyderabad, I had shown it to Chaithanya and he was surprised and was excited than me for the logo. 
We were also crystal clear on using only 2 colors for the logo. Black being the favorite color of both of us and Yellow will be seen from any distance and it suits well with black. 
We finalized on the same and gave it to a software guy and explained all these things to him.
Therefore after many iterations and thought processes PKC s logo came into life! 
In the next article I will tell you the story on how PKC s Laundry Man (Mascot) came to life!

For more information,
People can get in touch with me in LinkedIN, Facebook, Instagram
PK,
PK Enterprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment